Friday, July 15, 2011

Po'Boys, Pastries, and Peaches

While we were in Myrtle Beach, I was on the hunt for good seafood, or basically just good food period. I kept searching for places to eat before we went and found out some useful information. First, everything on Myrtle Beach is "calabash" style. Translation: buffet. Definitely not my cup of tea. And second, apparently most seafood is fried. So, it took a little digging, but we managed to find some pretty good eating.

We went to Mr. Fish (closer to North Myrtle Beach) on Saturday for lunch. I had read that it can get busy, but it definitely wasn't at 11:15 am. I ordered a shrimp po'boy and Kyle ordered 1 lb (yes a whole pound) of boiled shrimp.

My po'boy (the bread is hiding under all those shrimp)

1 lb. of shrimp (I think it was more than that!)


Anyways, I was highly impressed with Mr. Fish. Affordable, quick, and fresh seafood, what could be better? I mentioned to my father-in-law that they served shrimp and grits (which I considered getting) and I thought he was going to ralph. Needless to say, the fam didn't come with us.

We wanted to go out to a nice anniversary dinner, too. I had a hard time picking a place (I think because after awhile they all look the same). We drove south about 15 miles to Murrell's Inlet and found a place to eat called Nance's. It was decent, but definitely not as nice (more home cooking) than I would have preferred. We each got seafood platters, broiled. I thought it could use a little more seasoning, but it was pretty decent. Here's a picture of Kyle's plate:

Fish, deviled crab, 1/2 lobster tail, shrimp, scallops, oysters, baked potato, and slaw
Kyle's platter also included shrimp cocktail and chowder. I sampled both. Both were very, very good. Deviled crab was a pleasant surprise to both of us. It's some kind of crab salad stuffed back into the shell and then broiled. It tasted like stuffing- delicious. Also, Murrell's Inlet was beautiful and a little less touristy than MB. If we'd had more time I would have loved to check out Pawley's Island (a little further south, still).

Though not in the seafood world, we discovered a little treasure called Toffino's. I had found it online before we went and we just happened upon it one morning on our way for coffee. We stopped and shared a bearclaw. It was AMAZING. They also had awesome looking cannolis and all sorts of Italian desserts and cookies and Italian sandwiches. If we had had more time, I'm sure we would have eaten a full meal there. Anyways, I forgot the camera that morning, so here's a link to their website: http://www.toffinos.com/. If you're ever in the area, GO!!

One more thing, fresh peaches from the south can't be beat. There was a little fruit and veggie stand in our campground and I kept going back to buy more peaches. They were so ripe and so amazing. I think I ate at least 10. I have plans for a peach pie in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment