Friday, July 29, 2011

Garden State

Our garden has been going absolutely crazy. I had a lot of help this year from Kyle's grandpa and this was our first attempt at a garden. I haven't really kept up on weeding and I had to get rid of the cilantro (it went to seed), but it's mostly been a success. We are growing peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, tomatoes, and a few herbs. Our garden also has beautiful wild flowers that just keep growing.


Our zucchini has been growing the last few weeks, which I've already discussed. Finally, this week, we have tomatoes, lots of tomatoes:


Kyle said they were delicious and I actually ate cooked ones on Tuesday. They were ok. I haven't tried a raw one yet; I've just never liked them.

We also have banana peppers, Anaheim peppers (mildly hot), and bell peppers. I have no idea what to do with banana peppers, any ideas?


I wasn't sure our bell peppers were going to actually come in. But, today I found this:


It's not very big, but it's a start. Bell peppers are one of my fav foods, so I sure hope they grow.

I also found a few mysteries today. I have no idea what this thing is. It was growing on one of the zucchini plants. Weird, huh?


I also found this squash-looking thing growing on one of the cucumber plants. It was green on one side and white on the other. I really have no idea about this one either...



We've loved growing (some) of our own food and we hope to have a garden in our next home, too!

2 comments:

  1. Started to make our salsa today! We will see how it goes. Thanks for letting us mooch off your hard work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing the white/green one, is an acorn squash?? The other is a "warty" summer squash, I believe. I need to come raid your garden!! I never thought I'd see the day when you would become a country girl :) I would love to see you in that chicken coop!! Kristy

    ReplyDelete